MOT Testing in Brislington, Bristol
Brislington Motor Services are a DVSA approved MOT station for Class 4 vehicles. This means we can MOT the following vehicle type in our Bristol based centre for you :-
- Cars (up to 8 passenger seats)
- Motor caravans
- 3 wheeled vehicles (over 450 kg unladen weight)
- Quads (max unladen weight 400 kg – for goods vehicles 550 Kg and max net power of 15 kw)
- Dual purpose vehicles
- Private hire and public service vehicles (up to 8 seats)
- Ambulances and taxis
- Private passenger vehicles and ambulances (9-12 passenger seats)
- Vans with a maximum weight of upto 3500kg
The MOT test checks that your vehicle meets road safety and environmental standards.
You must get an MOT for your vehicle by either:
- the third anniversary of its registration
- the anniversary of its last MOT, if it’s over 3 years old
Some vehicles need to be tested at one year old – check the MOT fees table to see which.
An MOT lasts for a year. The date it runs out is printed on your current MOT pass certificate.
You can be fined up to £1,000 for driving a vehicle without a valid MOT but You can get an MOT up to a month (minus a day) before it runs out and keep the same renewal date. For example, If your MOT runs out on 15 May, the earliest you can get an MOT to keep the same renewal date for next year is 16 April.
You can get an MOT earlier, but the renewal date for the following year will change to one year (minus a day) from the date the vehicle last passed its MOT. For Example, Your MOT is due to run out on 15 May, so the earliest you can get it done is 16 April. However, you take your vehicle for its MOT on 14 April and it passes. This means that the MOT expiry date changes to 13 April the following year.
CLASS IV MOT TEST
All vehicles over 3 years old are required to pass an annual MOT inspection, and MOT inspections are one of the many services Brislington Motor services can provide to you. Listed below are a list of points we are required to check when carrying out your MOT test.
- The body and vehicle structure Is free from excessive corrosion or damage in specific areas and there are no sharp edges likely to cause injury.
- The fuel System Has no leaks and the fuel cap fastens and seals securely. The fuel cap will need to be opened so be sure the key is available.
- The exhaust emissions The vehicle meets the requirements for exhaust emissions, dependant on the age and fuel type of the vehicle.
- The exhaust system Is secure, complete, without serious leaks and silences effectively.
- The seat belts All belts installed are checked for type, condition, operation and security. All compulsory seat belts must be in place.
- The seats The front seats are secure. Front and rear backseats can be secured in the upright position.
- The doors Latch securely in closed position. Front doors should open from inside and outside the vehicle. Rear doors may need to be opened to gain access to testable items.
- The mirrors The minimum numbers are on the vehicle, their condition and security.
- Load security Boot or tailgate can be secured in the closed position.
- The brakes Their condition, operation and performance (efficiency test). Note the removal of the road wheels is not part of the test.
- The tyres and wheels Their condition, security, size, type and tread depth. Spare tyres are not inspected.
- The registration plates Their condition, security, characters correctly formed and spaced.
- The lights Their condition, operation and security. Headlamps for aim.
- The bonnet Securely latches in the closed position.
- The wipers and washers Operate to give the driver a clear view ahead.
- The windscreen Its condition and the driver’s view of the road.
- The horn Operates correctly and is of a suitable type.
- The steering and suspension Are of a satisfactory condition and operation.
- The vehicle identification number (VIN) Is on vehicles first used on or after 1 August 1980. Not more than one different VIN is displayed except on multistage build vehicles.
Excellent motor services. Never patronising and you always feel like they’ve been honest and done you the best deal on fixing your car. Trust them implicitly.
Used for the first time, highly recommend, good price and workmanship. Definitely be back again.
Sorted my daughters car with great work and professionalism. Explained problems well and gave great confidence that they were genuine in their diagnosis and the repairs required. Very pleased she has a local garage we can trust.
I do not usually write reviews, but this is the best garage in Bristol that provides an excellent service. All staff have a good knowledge of the industry, and they are friendly! I would highly recommend to all.